“What’s special about a buster posey card?” Question from Erik Maldre.
Answer: Buster Posey in 3D!
Lenticular technology comes back to baseball cards for 2013! vine.co/v/bD3UlzgLxFF
— 57 hits (@57hits) March 26, 2013
3d baseball cards are back! Back in 1986 Sportflics made cards that changed photographs when you moved the card. I never understood why they didn’t make the player animate. Why put three random photos on a card? Or why not make the card 3d?
With lenticular technlogy (the same tech that powered the 1986 Sportflics), you can make a photograph appear to be in three dimensions. The 2013 Topps Opening Day uses this technology to show off 3d photos. I love lenticular. When you move, the image in the card moves.
Wouldn’t it be cool to make lenticular photos? I’d like to shoot 3d images of Chicago. There’s a WOW factor to 3d lenticular photography. This Buster Posey card has that WOW. It’s hanging in my cube, like buster posey is in my cube with me.
But really? Buster Posey? Blerg. At least 3D is awesome. So are the San Fransicso Giants. Those two things makes up for it being Buster Posey. In fact, instead of thinking of it being Buster Posey, think of it as the San Fransciso Giants catcher.
Let’s summarize. Why the 2013 Topps Opening Day card #ODS-4 is cool:
- It’s 3d lenticular
- San Fransicso Giants
- Catcher. Catchers are cool.
- 2013 Topps Opening Day. These cards are the coolest, most-best cards created in 2013. Why? Because they are a buck a pack. YES, KIDS. Affordable cards are cool.
- I was able to get a special 3D card from an affordable pack.
- The design. My brother noted, “It’s neat that his foot is on the front side of the graphic and his other foot is behind it. That’s a nice card. Very nice.”
- It’s crazy. When I move in my chair at work, there’s a baseball card on my wall that changes as I move.
For all my friends who are baseball fans, I’m gonna buy a bunch of 2013 Topps Opening Day packs and give a pack to each friend. If you are reading this blog post, and you didn’t get a pack, let me know.